A history of benevolence and collaboration.
In the 1890’s, a small group of doctors and citizens came together for the greater good of a community and formed what was then known as the Lowell Free Hospital Association. They saw a need to serve all citizens and rallied influential donors who, ultimately, helped initiate a charitable hospital. On July 20, 1893, Lowell General Hospital opened its doors to patients and the rest is history.
A force in the community.
Through wars, fires and devastating floods, the hospital has endured. 125 years on, Lowell General Hospital is at the forefront of medicine — offering state-of-the-art facilities and innovative treatments. Yet it remains true to its original mission of providing quality care to the Greater Lowell community, serving the rich or poor, young and old and people of all backgrounds.